Monday, February 21, 2011

A glimpse into times past

Excerpt of diary entry from February 18, 2008:
[This was after reading When God Writes Your Love Story by Eric & Leslie Ludy, and True Stories of Passion & Purity by Elisabeth Eliot]

Lord, several nights ago I made a commitment to hand over the pen to you. To let YOU, the author of love, write my love story. Lord, those true stories of passion and purity have changed my perspective on biblical relationships and marriage...

[Not an excerpt. But a recollection of the night] March 17, 2008:
Setting: Salina, KS. The MISSION Spring Break Retreat
I stood alone by the lake. Reflecting on what it meant to hand over the pen to God. Oh God you are the perfect author! Write my life oh Lord! I surrender all to you.
I was young in the faith, and perhaps a little rash and foolish, making bold statements, and frequently falling short of my proclamations, not too different from the apostle Peter, when he was young in the faith as well. Before I left the lakeside, at Salina KS, during The MISSION spring break retreat, I told God: I will wait one year. I will wait one year.

[One year later] March 17, 2009
Setting: Stroud, OK. The MISSION Spring Break Retreat
I stood alone by the lake. A different lake. I remembered what I said one year ago in Salina, Kansas. Did I wait for one year? On the surface I did, but deep down in my heart, I had struggles. Of course I was not perfect. But I refused to give up. I came to the Lord with all honesty: Lord, I am weak. Lord, I have failed. Give me strength O Lord. One more year? Yes Lord, I will wait one more year.

[Another year later] March 18, 2010
Reading this diary entry, I guess I must have been somewhat occupied with “Prayer at the Plaza”*. I suppose when you set your eyes on God, and stop looking around for a potential future mate (the wife that I continue to wait for), He takes you on a different field trip. The marriage and the relationship and the dating/courting can wait. It’s a slight break from the previous years’ entries of surrendering my love life to God, nevertheless, enjoy the excerpt:

The date is March 18, 2010. The time is 1:34am.
I am not able to sleep. I believe the Lord kept me awake for good reason: To write down in an organized fashion what He has been speaking to me in days past.
I sought the Lord regarding the theme of the prayer meeting.
He answered – James 4:7 and 2 Chronicles 7:14. “Submit yourselves...”
I sought the Lord regarding the motivation of the prayer meeting.
He answered – Matthew 6 – the Lord’s Prayer. “Hallowed by Thy Name...”
I sought the Lord regarding the ammunition for the prayer meeting.
He answered – Ephesians 6:10-18 – The Armor of God.

The writing ended at 3:30am. It was a very long entry.

* Prayer at the Plaza was a open air prayer meeting where Christians from different organizations came together to pray and intercede for the expansion of God’s Kingdom in Wichita State. I take this time to remember the valiant and heartfelt efforts of the following ministries/churches: Chi Alpha, Christian Challenge, Campus Crusade, Campus Ministries at Wichita State, Fellowship of Christian Athletes, Ekklesia (from Eastminster Presbyterian Church), Students of the Cross (from the University Lutheran Center), International Students, Inc. (www.isionline.org), and The MISSION.

March 17/18/19, 2011 [A date in the future]

Diary entry: BLANK

Obviously, March is not yet come. I have not forgotten about the beauty of a marriage where God is the matchmaker. I have not forgotten about the sovereignty of God; I have not forgotten about my responsibility as a child of God, as a soldier for Christ, as a follower of Jesus. Until now, I still do not know what God has in store for my love life or who my future partner is (for those of you who know me well enough and are chuckling, please refrain). But I do know these things: God will sovereignly reveal at the divinely appointed time; and I will continue with my heated pursuit of God with renewed fervor and passion. I will allow nothing to stand between me and my God. Nothing.

1 comment:

  1. You blog is were good.
    I am form Brasiliam.
    www.vivendoteologia.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Followers